The video library is an extensive collection of video footage created by prominent thought leaders from around the world. The video library is constantly being updated and is currently divided into approximately 30 modules demonstrating a variety of approaches and multiple procedures. Over 200 video clips with more than 30 hours of footage are available for viewing now.
- Click Here - to go to the Video Library Table of Contents.
On a monthly basis, Dr. Mark Walters reports the 10 best and most clinically relevant articles from over 15 top OB-GYN and Pelvic Surgery Journals. Each reference is followed by one or two sentences summarizing the message of the article.
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for April-May 2013
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for March 2013
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for February 2013
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for December 2012 / January 2013
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for November 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for September / October 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for August 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for July 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for June 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for April / May 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for March 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for February 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for December 2011 / January 2012
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for November 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for September / October 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for August 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for July 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for June 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for May 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics and Gynecology for April 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top 10 in Obstetrics for March 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top Five for February 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top Ten for December 2010 / January 2011
- IAPS Monthly Top Ten for October / November 2010
- IAPS Monthly Top Ten for September 2010
- IAPS Monthly Top Ten for August 2010
As the arena of pelvic surgery remains a dynamic and ever-changing area of medicine, editorials on controversial issues are presented on a monthly basis by thought leaders and prominent surgeons from around the world.
- Externalities - by James L. Whiteside, MD, MA
- 10 Practical and Evidence-Based Suggestions to Improve Your Perioperative Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Gynecologic Surgery - by Megan O. Schimpf, M.D.
- Lessons from Sumo - by James L. Whiteside, M.D
- U.S. FDA Issues New Safety Communication Regarding Vaginal Mesh for Prolapse
- Simulation and Gynecologic Surgery: A Complementary Teaching Approach to the “See One, Do One, Teach One” Method for Surgical Training - by Mikio A. Nihira, MD and S. Abbas Shobeiri, MD
- 10 Practical and Evidence-Based Suggestions to Improve Your Laparoscopic Gynecologic Practice NOW - by Catherine A. Matthews, MD
- 10 Practical Recommendations to Improve Maternal and Perinatal Outcome in Patients with Eclampsia - by Baha M. Sibai, M.D.
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation - Past, Present and Future - by Mickey Karram, MD
- 10 Practical and Evidence-based Suggestions to Improve your Gyn Practice Now - by Mark D. Walters, MD
On a monthly basis, interesting and difficult cases are presented by a variety of different faculty members. Cases often are complemented with video clips to illustrate the teaching points.
- Case 9 - March 2013 - Urethral Prolapse: A Case and Review of the Literature
- Case 8 - October 2012 - Surgical Site Infection with Sacral Nerve Modulation Device: Prevention and Management
- Case 7 - April/May 2012 - Interventional Radiologic Treatment of Pelvic Hemorrhage After Placement of Mesh for Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery: Two Cases
- Case 6 – October/November 2011 - Multiple Uterine Fibroids in a Woman Seeking Future Fertility
- Case 5 - July/August 2011 - Painful Vaginal Constriction Ring and Mesh Erosion After Prolapse Repair
- Case 4 – May/June 2011 - Stage IV Vaginal Prolapse
- Case 3 - April 2011 - Female Sexual Dysfunction
- Case 2 - February/March 2011 - Prolapse, Incontinence, Areflexic Bladder
- Case 1 - January 2011 - Ureteral Obstruction After Vaginal Repair of Advanced Prolapse
This growing portion of the website provides members the opportunity to listen to a discussion of how best to manage a surgical complication. Each case is supplemented with video clips as well as a discussion of how the complication may have potentially been avoided.
This growing portion of the website is aimed at providing members a step-by-step description of commonly performed surgical procedures. An overview of the procedure is followed by the technical aspects of how best to perform the operation, including commonly asked questions related to operative details and potential complications. Each description is supplemented with numerous video clips from the video library.
- Transobturator Sling for Treatment of Stress Incontinence
- Retropubic Midurethral Sling for Treatment of Stress Incontinence
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation: Technique for Bilateral Percutaneous Nerve Evaluation
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation: Tined Lead Stage I Trial
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation: Stage II Procedure, Placement of Implantable Pulse Generator (IPG)
- Uterine Morcellation at Vaginal Hysterectomy
- High Uterosacral Suspension of the Prolapsed Vaginal Apex
- Partial Vulvar Vestibulectomy With Vaginal Flap Advancement For Surgical Management of Vulvar Vestibulitis Syndrome
Every month, Dr. Anne Weber reviews three timely and sometimes controversial articles. She provides a summary and critique, followed by a "take-home message" for IAPS members.
- Journal Club – February/ March 2012 - Levonorgestrel-Releasing Intrauterine System for Gynecologic Indications
- Journal Club - September/October 2011 - 10 Evidence-Based Recommendations for Improving Maternal Outcome in Cesarean Section
- Journal Club - July/August 2011 - 12 Practical Evidence-Based Suggestions to Improve Family Planning in Your Patients Now
- Journal Club - May/June 2011 - Treatments for Uterine Fibroids: Uterine Fibroid Embolization versus Hysterectomy and Myomectomy
- Journal Club - April 2011 - Non-Surgical Treatment of Urinary Incontinence
- Journal Club - March 2011 - Reversing Pelvic Organ Prolapse By Non-Surgical Means
- Journal Club - February 2011 - Effectiveness of Tension-Free Mid-Urethral Slings
- Journal Club - January 2011 - Sexual Function After Trocar-Guided Transvaginal Mesh Repair
- Journal Club - December 2010 - Research Trials for New Pelvic Surgery Procedures, and Their Surprising Results
Dr. Michael A. Ferragamo, who is a nationally renowned expert in CPT coding and reimbursement issues, provides us with a monthly overview of this rapidly changing area of medical practice.
- Coding Module 5– April/May 2012 - Coding for Pelvic Floor Repair, Reconstruction, and Complications
- Coding Module 4 – June/July/August 2011 - Comprehensive Coding for Hysterectomy
- Coding Module 3 – April/May 2011 - Diagnostic and Operative Laparoscopy Procedure Coding for the Urogynecologist and Urologist
- Coding Module 2 - February/March 2011 - Neuromodulation Coding and Reimbursements
- Coding Module 1 - December 2010 - Correct Coding for the Treatment of Sling Failures and Complications in Women
IAPS has scanned the original classic articles from some of the most important surgeries in gynecology to be listed on our website, as a link for your further educational interest. Click an article title below to download a PDF.
- Aldridge AH. Transplantation of fascia for relief of urinary stress incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1942; 44: 398-411. (The "Aldridge Sling")
- Bonney V. The principles that should underlie all operations for prolapse. J Obstet Gynecol Br Emp 1934; 41: 669-83.
- Burch JC. Urethrovaginal fixation to cooper's ligament for correction of stress incontinence, cystocele, and prolapse. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1961; 81:281-290. (The first article on Burch Colposuspension)
- Danforth WC. The place of vaginal hysterectomy in present-day gynecology. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1938; 36:787-97.
- DeLee JB. The prophylactic forceps operation. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1920; 1:34
- Heaney NS. A report of 565 vaginal hysterectomies performed for benign pelvic disease. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1934; 28L751-5. (The Heaney vaginal hysterectomy technique)
- Hunner GL. A rare type of bladder ulcer in women: report of cases. Boston Medical and Surgical Journal 1914; 660-664. (The "Hunner's Ulcer" for IC)
- Jeffcoate TNA. Posterior Colpoperineorrhaphy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1959; 77:490-502.
- Kelly HA. Incontinence of urine in women. The Urologic and Cutaneous Review 1915; 17:291-93. (The first "Kelly Plication")
- Lash AF. A method for reducing the size of the uterus in vaginal hysterectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1941; 42:452-9. (An early morcellation technique at vaginal hysterectomy)
- LeFort L. Nouveau Procede Pour la Guerison, duprolapsus uterine. Bul Gen Ther 92:337, 1877. (The "LeFort Procedure")
- Lister J. New method of treating compound fracture, abscess, etc. Lancet 1867; 507-9
- Malpas P, Jeffcoate TNA, Lister UM. The displacement of the bladder and urethra during labour. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp. 1949; 56:949-60
- Marshall VF, Marchetti AA, Krantz KE. The Correction of Stress Incontinence by Simple Vesicourethral Suspension. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1949; 88: 509-518. (The original MMK procedure)
- McCall ML. Posterior Culdeplasty: Surgical correction of enterocele duringvaginal hysterectomy: a preliminary report. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1957; 10: 595-602. (The original McCall Culdoplasty)
- Moschcowitz AV. The pathogenesis, anatomy, and cure of prolapse of the rectum. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetetrics 1912; 15:7-21. (the original Moschcowitz Procedure)
- Richardson EH. A simplified technique for abdominal panhysterectomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1929; 47:248-56. (The original Richardson stitch)
- Senn N. The early history of vaginal hysterectomy. JAMA 1895; 25:476-83.
- Sims JM. Treatment of vesico-vaginal fistula. Am J Med Sci 1852; 23:59-83.
- Stoeckel W. The use of the pyramidal muscle in the surgical treatment of urinary incontnence. Zentralbl Gynakol 1917; 41:11-19.
- White GB. Cystocele. JAMA 1909; 21:1707-10. (The original vaginal paravaginal repair)
Links to numerous societies and other websites that may be of interest to our membership are provided to supplement the current information on the IAPS website.
ACOG: American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
AUGS: American Urogynecologic Society
SGS: Society of Gynecologic Surgeons
ICS: International Continence Society
IUGA: International Urogynecological Association
AAGL: American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
SUFU: Society for Urodynamics & Female Urology
PAGS: Pelvic Anatomy and Gynecologic Surgery Symposium
The Simon Foundation for Continence
National Association for Continence
Foundation for Female Health Awareness
National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearing House
FUUS: International Seminar on Female Urology and Urogynecology
The Christ Hospital
- IAPS Live Surgery Days - View cases and interact through a chat room with surgeon, Dr. Mickey Karram.